Pralidoxime reverses muscle weakness or paralysis caused by a poison or certain drug overdose.
Pralidoxime is used as an antidote to treat poisoning by a chemical or pesticide (insect spray), or by a drug used to treat a muscle disorder.
This medication is not effective as an antidote for all types of pesticide poisonings.
Pralidoxime may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Submit your review
Some of the side effects of pralidoxime may be similar to the symptoms of poisoning. Your caregivers will watch you closely to determine whether your body is responding well to the medication, or if you are having any serious side effects.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
fast heart rate;
increased muscle stiffness;
a choking feeling;
Less serious side effects may include:
pain where the medicine was injected;
feeling dizzy or drowsy;
Treatment should include general supportive care, atropinization, and decontamination, in addition to the use of PROTOPAM Chloride. Treatment is most effective if initiated immediately after poisoning. Administration of PROTOPAM Chloride should be carried out slowly and, preferably, by infusion. If intravenous administration is not feasible, intramuscular or subcutaneous injection should be used. Generally, little is accomplished if PROTOPAM Chloride is given more than 36 hours after termination of exposure to the poison. When the poison has been ingested, it is particularly important to take into account the likelihood of continuing absorption from the lower bowel since this constitutes new exposure and fatal relapses have been reported after initial improvement. In such cases, additional doses of PROTOPAM Chloride may be needed every three to eight hours. In effect, the patient should be “titrated” with PROTOPAM Chloride as long as signs of poisoning recur. As in all cases of organophosphate poisoning, care should be taken to keep the patient under observation for at least 48 to 72 hours. If dermal exposure has occurred, clothing should be removed and the hair and skin washed thoroughly with sodium bicarbonate or alcohol as soon as possible. Supportive care, including airway management, respiratory and cardiovascular support, correction of metabolic abnormalities, and seizure control, may be necessary in cases of severe organophosphate poisoning. Atropine should be given as soon as possible after hypoxemia is improved. Atropine should not be given in the presence of significant hypoxia due to the risk of atropine-induced ventricular fibrillation. In adults, atropine may be given intravenously in doses of 2 to 4 mg. This should be repeated at 5- to 10-minute intervals until full atropinization (secretions are inhibited) or signs of atropine toxicity appear (delirium, hyperthermia, muscle twitching). Some degree of atropinization should be maintained for at least 48 hours, and until any depressed blood cholinesterase activity is reversed.